Double Paddage

Double Paddage

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Joe's Valley

Man! Two posts in a day! I'm only going to talk a little about Joe's Valley and let the movie I made and pictures do the rest.

Joe's Is Amazing. The rock climbing is phenomenal, the valley is gorgeous, and the Food Ranch is... the Food Ranch. So Orangeville and Castledale may not be the most amazing of climber towns (I just gushed all about how much I love Bishop), but the climbing more than makes up for it. I got a nice little spot down Right Fork right by a Porta-Potty.
Joe's Muthaf@#$in' Valley
Being near one of a few porta-potties is a blessing and a curse. It is nice in the mornings, but having random cars pull up to use it is a bit of a nuisance. I miss having access to a nice camping table at the Pit in Bishop, but I've been making do by cooking out of the trunk and using the cooler for a little table.
Tailgating solo
The first day I busted out to New Joe's climbing area and worked on Resident Evil. I had tried that climb two years ago, but had the mistiming of coming to it starving every time. I would arrive and only be able to try it a few times before breaking down and eating. This time I had a little more foresight and ate well before hopping on it. It felt really hard, but doable. I managed to climb the Stand-Up, which is a V7 or 8 that starts a few moves in and was only stuck on one move, the hard fall-in move with the left hand. I dinked around that area for a while enjoying the amazing friction of sandstone before going to get my camp set-up. Here's a few pictures from around there.
Me and my trusty steed, or something...
Black Lung (V13 F.A. Ben Moon) Resident Evil is on the Right
Praying for more friction on the start of Black Lung.
And, without further ado, here's a link to a little movie I've made of the climbs I've done in Joe's so far. I didn't get The Wind Below on video, unfortunately, but I caught my buddy Jeremy Ho climbing it. It is tall, awesome, and fucking scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment